Recipe by Julesong
Top Review by blakesle
Julesong...I enjoyed these so much!. They were delicious. I used round steak and the meat was very tender and soft after sitting in the baking soda mix. Mustard and balsalmic vinegar gave it a nice tang. Definitely will make again. I used blue cheese but will try the feta next time. Thank you! Catherine
- 1 lb beef (boned top round steak, or whatever cut you like, it doesn't need to be expensive)
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup room temperature water
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled blue cheese or 1⁄2 cup feta cheese
- 4 large flour tortillas, wraps
- 2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim fat from beef.
- Slice very thinly across the grain into strips and place in ceramic or glass bowl.
- Mix together the baking soda and 1/4 cup water, then pour it over the beef.
- Stir well and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Remove the sliced beef from the bowl and rinse it well under running cold water in a colander.
- Let drain.
- Combine the mustard, black pepper, garlic, and salt in a large bowl.
- Add drained beef, tossing to coat.
- Heat olive oil and 1 Tbsp butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add beef mixture, saute 4 minutes or until done.
- Remove the meat from the pan, keeping warm.
- Add remaining Tbsp of butter, mushrooms, onions, and bell pepper to pan, and saute 3 to 4 minutes to slightly brown.
- Add water, cover and cook about 5 minutes to preferred doneness.
- Add the cooked meat back into the pan and stir in vinegar.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese.
- Warm tortillas according to package instructions.
- Spoon 1 cup mixture onto each tortilla, top each serving with 1/4 cup lettuce, and roll up.
- Serves 4.