Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 min
These are very filling, I serve with a salad and crusty bread. Good for a light dinner.
Make and share this Blue Cheese Broiled Tomatoes recipe from Food.com.
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Cut stems off tomatoes and cut each tomato into 2 think slices (in half).
- Put on broiler rack.
- Combine sugar, basil, salt and pepper and sprinkle little of mixture on each tomato slice.
- Add bread crumbs to melted butter and toss lightly with a fork.
- Add blue cheese and toss again lightly.
- Spoon on tomato slices and slip under broiler until crumbs are nicely browned, about 1 minute.
- Serve Immediately.
Made this without the sugar and used gorganzola instead of blue cheese. It was delicious.
I wanted a quick supper, and not having fresh bread crumbs or wanting to try to make some I made this my way. Spread butter on 2 slices of sourdough bread, top with tomatoes,salt,pepper then cheese. I broiled until cheese melted and bread was crisp. I will be making this often or until I am out of garden tomatoes. Thanks for the recipe.
I enjoyed this inspirational recipe. I did make a few changes, though. I used garlic and herb infused olive oil instead of butter. I also used feta cheese instead of blue. I bet goat cheese would be good, too! Broiling 1 minute left my tomatoes still hard and crumbs barely toasted, so I did 3 minutes under the broiler and then baked them at 375 for 5 minutes to soften the tomatoes. Thank you for a tempting recipe. It was a delicious lunch.