Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
I love blue cheese and I love biscuits... so a natural conclusion would be??? yep. They are yummy. Have had this recipe forever and don't have a clue where it came from.
- 4 slices bacon, crisp and crumbled
- 2 cups unsiftede all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 1⁄3 cup firmly packed blue cheese
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- Preheat over to 450 degrees.
- Mix bacon, flour, baking powder, salt, onion.
- Cut in blue cheese and shortening until particles are like small peas.
- Stir in buttermilk to form a soft sticky dough.
- Place dough on floured board and knead several times to make a smooth ball.
- Roll dough to 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut rounds with two inch cookie cutter.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- bake 12- 15 minutes.
Loved this! Made these for dinner last night to go with a pork loin roast and they were great! I did use my own dough recipe, but I really needed to know the amounts on the blue cheese, as I didn't want to overpower the bread flavor. This is spot on. I like that you cut the cheese (man, I can hear my husband snickering now...) into the dough with the shortening to blend it in better. The only difference between my own biscuit recipe and this one is the shortening amount, which may be because of the cheese, as mine uses 1/3 c shortening, and 1 c buttermilk. Other than that, we're using the same recipe. Used a crumbled Gorganzola cheese. Thanks for sharing one I'll definitely make again.