Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Blue cheese surprise and BBQ sauce burgers? Give these a try. Use Maytag blue cheese or go Italian with Gorgonzola, and serve these cheeseburgers with your favorite potato salad and coleslaw.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chuck
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄2 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- favorite barbecue sauce
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- red onion, sliced
- 6 kaiser rolls or 6 onion hamburger buns
- Fire up the grill.
- In a bowl, combine the ground beef with salt, pepper, liquid smoke, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, and Tabasco.
- Divide the blue cheese into six portions and the ground beef into six portions.
- “Hide” one portion of blue cheese in the center of one portion of beef and form a patty.
- When the six patties are formed, grill them to desired doneness.
- Place patties on hamburger buns, topped with Provolone cheese, BBQ sauce, and fixin’s.
These hamburgers were so great. We used Smokey Provolone cheese on the top and just mixed the bleu cheese into the burgers. You really love the barbecue sauce with these, (and oh, by the way, make it a hot one). but it isn't necessary. The flavor of the burgers is just that great. Thanks for posting a definite do-over recipe!!! Excellent!
I somehow forgot to buy the provolone slices to go with this - how the heck did that happen?? Anyhow, I thought these were good, but not outstanding. I didn't think that the bleu cheese flavor was particularly strong. I found myself using the prep method in Inside-out Burgers without reading this recipe very carefully. That was actually overkill, and your method was much easier and worked just fine with only one filling ingredient to mess with. Also, the burgers ended up too small for the onion rolls I bought, so next time I would need to buy smaller rolls, or only make 4 burgers out of this.
My husband & I made this last night & loved it! Nice combination of flavors & satisfied our craving for a gourmet style burger.