Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Pear, Walnut and Blue Cheese Salad for Four: Assorted baby green lettuce
- 2 fresh pears, peeled
- 2 ounces maytag blue cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup walnut halves (toasted)
- baby green lettuce (to serve as a bed for the rest of the salad)
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 2 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- Cover each salad plate with a modest bed of baby green lettuce.
- Slice and core a half pear for each plate.
- Thinly slice pears from bottom to just before the very end and then fan out the slices over the lettuce.
- Top with toasted walnuts and a generous serving of crumbled blue cheese.
- Whisk dressing ingredients and spoon over the salad mixture.
My family adores this recipe! My mother-in-law asks me to make it for every family event now. I use Splenda instead of sugar. Pecans work just as well as walnuts, I've tried both. And our favorite cheese with this salad is Manchego. I like to use bosc pears (the brown firm ones), on the recommendation of our produce guy at the grocery store. And I like to dip the halved pears in the dressing before slicing and putting on the plate because it keeps them from browning. Fabulous presentation and taste with very little trouble.
This is a fabulous salad recipe. I served at a dinner party and everyone raved about. Very attractive on the salad plates too.