Recipe by Patrick MacLean
Pear, Walnut and Blue Cheese Salad for Four: Assorted baby green lettuce
Top Review by Bethabee
My family adores this recipe! My mother-in-law asks me to make it for every family event now. I use Splenda instead of sugar. Pecans work just as well as walnuts, I've tried both. And our favorite cheese with this salad is Manchego. I like to use bosc pears (the brown firm ones), on the recommendation of our produce guy at the grocery store. And I like to dip the halved pears in the dressing before slicing and putting on the plate because it keeps them from browning. Fabulous presentation and taste with very little trouble.
- 2 fresh pears, peeled
- 2 ounces maytag blue cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup walnut halves (toasted)
- baby green lettuce (to serve as a bed for the rest of the salad)
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 2 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Cover each salad plate with a modest bed of baby green lettuce.
- Slice and core a half pear for each plate.
- Thinly slice pears from bottom to just before the very end and then fan out the slices over the lettuce.
- Top with toasted walnuts and a generous serving of crumbled blue cheese.
- Whisk dressing ingredients and spoon over the salad mixture.