Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 mins
Elegant little bites.
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1⁄4 lb chilled blue cheese
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed for 30 minutes (half of a 17.3 oz. package puff pastry)
- 1⁄2 cup fig jam
- Preheat oven to 425°; line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small custard dish mix the egg yolk and water with a fork (this is the egg wash); set aside.
- Break or cut the blue cheese into 24 small pieces (about ¼ inch); let stand at room temperature to soften.
- Unfold the pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface; with a lightly floured rolling pin, roll out pastry to a 10-inch square.
- Using a 1 ½ inch round cutter, cut out 24 pastry rounds from pastry sheet.
- Place rounds 1 inch apart on baking sheet; brush tops of rounds with egg wash.
- Bake rounds in the middle of oven for about 12 minutes, until puffed and golden brown (rounds will puff unevenly).
- Transfer rounds with a spatula to a rack; cool slightly; trim bottoms of rounds, if necessary, to create level pastries; cool completely on rack.
- Top each pastry round with 1 piece blue cheese and ½ teaspoon jam; serve at room temperature.