Recipe by Bay Laurel
I got this out of Better Homes and Gardens magazine June 2009.It is deadly as far calories go but when I am PMSing or convincing myself that I am going on a diet the next day, it really doesn't matter. This is a Bucket list recipe. You must eat and enjoy before you die. ENJOY!!!
CORN DOG INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup blue cheese
- 1 egg
- 3 slices bacon, crisp-cooked and finely crumbled
- 6 beef franks, jumbo, cut in half crosswise
- 6 inches wooden skewers, dozen
BLUE CHEESE DIP
- 2⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 2 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- CORN DOG DIRECTIONS.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, corn meal,baking powder,dry mustard, and salt.
- Cut in shortening until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- In a blender, combine milk, blue cheese,and egg; cover and blend until almost smooth.
- Add egg mixture to flour mixture along with bacon;mix well (batter will be thick).
- Meanwhile, heat 1 inch of oil in a heavy 10 inch skillet ovre medium heat to 365°F (should take about 15 minutes).
- Insert skewers into ends of franks. Holding onto skewers, hold franks over bowl of cornmeal mixture. Spoon cornmeal mixture on franks and slightly spread to completely cover. Place coated franks, 3 or 4 at a time, on their sides in hot oil.
- Turn franks with tongs after about 10 seconds of cooking to prevent batter from sliding off.
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes more or until golden brown, turning to brown evenly.
- Remove and drain on a baking sheet lined with paper towels.
- Keep warm in a 200°F oven while frying remaining franks.
- Serve warm with Blue Cheese Dip.
- BLUE CHEESE DIP.
- In a medium bowl combine mayonnaise, sour cream, blue cheese, Worcestershire sauce, and ground black pepper.
- Cover and chill until ready to serve.