1/2 Photos of Blue Cheese and Bacon Bread Twist
24 hrs 30 mins
This lovely bread takes a bit of effort but it's worth it for that special occasion, or if you just really like a crusty bread with lots of flavour. Very yummy used as bread for an open sandwich! Remember to plan a day ahead, because the first stage involves leaving the mixture overnight.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1The day before you want the bread, make a sticky paste by mixing together 1/2 cup of the flour, 1/2 cup of the water and two teaspoons of yeast in a bowl.
- 2When the ingredients are combined, cover the bowl with cling film and leave in the fridge overnight.
- 3The next day, the mixture will have bubbles on top and smell fermented.
- 4Add remaining flour, yeast and salt to the bowl, and start adding the remaining water a bit at a time, until you get a sticky consistency.
- 5Flop the dough onto a floured work surface, sprinkle more flour on the dough and knead for 3-5 minutes or until smooth.
- 6Put the dough in a large bowl, cover with cling film and leave to rise until doubled, between 1-2 hours.
- 7Meanwhile, fry the bacon until crispy and then cut into small pieces.
- 8Crumble the cheese into a small bowl and mix with bacon.
- 9Take dough and turn onto a floured work surface again, working bacon and cheese into the dough this time and kneading for another 3-5 minutes until smooth.
- 10Put back in bowl and leave for another hour to rise by about a third to a half.
- 11Take dough and split into three equal pieces.
- 12On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece into a sausage shape, about 20 inches long.
- 13Take the three "sausages" and lay them out in front of you, each at a slight angle to the other.
- 14This part is hard to describe, but just imagine you are braiding hair.
- 15You will need to pinch the three pieces together at one end and then, once they are attached, take the piece on the left side and bring it over the centre piece.
- 16Then take the right piece and bring it over the centre piece.
- 17Repeat until all the dough is braided and pinch together at the end.
- 18Lay bread on a greased and floured baking sheet, cover with cling film and let rise for one final hour.
- 19Bake for 30-35 minutes in an oven at 200°C or about 350°F.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Blue Cheese and Bacon Bread Twist
Serving Size: 1 (697 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 83.7
- Calories from Fat 28
- Total Fat 3.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 6.6 mg
- Sodium 231.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 3.4 g