Prep 0 mins
Cook 25 mins
I told you I had a Blue Bayou thing.. Not a can of soup in sight.
- 28 ounces chicken breasts (with skin)
- 3 ounces fresh spinach or 3 ounces frozen spinach, chopped
- 3 ounces grated cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces cooked bacon, chopped
- seasoning salt
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 3 teaspoons unsalted butter (room temp)
- 1 1⁄2 finely chopped onions
- 3 medium sliced mushrooms
- 2⁄3 cup white wine
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon diced pimento
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh chives
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- white pepper
- The Chicken:.
- If fresh spinach is used, it must be blanched.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In mixing, combine spinach, bacon and cheese; set aside.
- Open chicken breast and sprinkle with seasoned salt. Stuff with spinach mixture. Fold and place seam side down in baking dish. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle outside with seasoned salt.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 - 25 minutes. Top with Florentine sauce and serve over rice.
- Blend together flour and 2 tsp of the butter; set aside.
- Sauté onions and mushrooms in 1 teaspoons butter (do not allow onions to brown).
- Add white wine and reduce completely. Add remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a simmer and slowly add the flour/butter mixture a little at a time until desired thickness is achieved.
- Continue cooking at a simmer for 8 - 10 minutes.
- Yield: 2 cups sauce.
- Source: City Hall.