From the Disney website: Of all the delectable offerings served at the restaurant during the last four decades, the most popular item by far is the Blue Bayou Monte Cristo Sandwich. It was available on the original 1967 menu (accompanied by a fresh fruit compote topped with toasted coconut) and is still available at lunch service today. The sandwich has been so popular over the years, with upwards of 200 of them served a day, that a card was printed up for guests who requested the recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons water
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 8 slices egg bread, sliced 1/2-inch thick (challah works well)
- 8 thin slices ham
- 8 thin slices turkey
- 8 thin slices swiss cheese
- 3 cups canola oil
- confectioners' sugar
- blackberry preserves
- 1Line a cookie sheet with paper towels; set aside.
- 2Whisk the egg and water together in a mixing bowl. Add flour, salt, and baking powder and whisk thoroughly for 2 to 3 minutes or until smooth, scraping sides of bowl.
- 3On one slice of bread, arrange 2 slices of ham, turkey, and cheese, covering the bread evenly. Place another slice of bread on top and slice each sandwich in half diagonally.
- 4Heat oil to between 365 degrees F and 375 degrees F in a 10-inch pan. Do not let the oil reach a higher temperature than this; if the oil starts to smoke, turn the heat down. Dip half of the sandwich into the batter, allowing excess to drain, and very carefully place into the oil.
- 5Repeat with the other sandwich half. Cook 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Place the cooked sandwich on the prepared cookie sheet in a warm oven until ready to serve. Repeat with the other three sandwiches.
- 6Cook one at a time, and allow the oil to reach the desired temperature between each.
- 7Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar and serve with blackberry preserves on the side.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Blue Bayou Monte Cristo Sandwich
Serving Size: 1 (416 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1889.2
- Calories from Fat 1530
- Total Fat 170.0 g
- Saturated Fat 13.7 g
- Cholesterol 87.3 mg
- Sodium 587.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 14.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: