Recipe by TAHINAZ
This is a scaled-down version of the gumbo from the famed Blue Bayou restaurant in Disneyland. It's the best I have ever eaten. (Originally found on Grub Post.)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup onion, diced (about 2)
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1 cup okra, sliced
- 12 ounces meat (cubed chicken, andouille sausage and or shrimp)
- 1 (6 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon gumbo file
- 1 tablespoon salt, divided use (OR to taste)
- 2 cups rice, cooked
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 lb green bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Place room-temperature butter in a small sauté pan or saucepan over very low heat. Slowly whisk in flour until very smooth. Continue whisking until the roux begins to brown.
- Add the onion and celery. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the stock and stir. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients (except filé and salt) and return to a simmer. Adjust salt to taste.
- If you are adding seafood, add it at the very end and make sure it is completely cooked.
- Add filé.
- Mix well and serve over rice.