1 hr 40 mins
Angel Food Cake with Blue Curacao Frosting. From NYTimes.com. Originally published with STYLE & ENTERTAINING; Rhapsody In Blue And White By William Norwich, September 16, 2001
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. In a large bowl, bring the egg whites to room temperature. In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon water, the lemon juice and vanilla; set aside. Sift into another bowl 1/2 cup sugar, the flour and salt.
- 2With an electric mixer, whip the egg whites for 1 minute. Add the water mixture and cream of tartar. Whip at high speed until the egg whites are fluffy. Gradually beat in the remaining sugar, beating until the mixture holds a stiff, mounded peak. (Do not overbeat; the mixture should not look dry.).
- 3Sift half the flour mixture over the whites and fold in with a wide rubber spatula. Repeat with the remaining flour mixture.
- 4Spoon the batter into a 10-inch tube pan with a detachable bottom and smooth the top. Bake until the top is golden and springs back, 40 to 45 minutes.
- 5Cool the cake upside down for about an hour, centering it over a large bottle. Run a knife around the cake edges, inner and outer, and, holding the tube, remove the cake. Run a knife between the cake and the bottom of the pan and invert the cake onto a cutting board. Using a large serrated knife, cut the cake horizontally into thirds.
- 6Using an electric mixer, whip the cream at high speed until thickened. Gradually whip in sugar. When soft mounds begin to form, beat in the Curaçao until the icing is firm.
- 7Assemble the cake on a serving dish, spreading the icing between the layers, then over the sides and top. Chill until ready to serve. YIELD. 10 servings.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Blue Angel Cake
Serving Size: 1 (188 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 537.5
- Calories from Fat 318
- Total Fat 35.4 g
- Saturated Fat 21.9 g
- Cholesterol 130.4 mg
- Sodium 340.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 35.4 g
- Protein 7.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: