Recipe by JillAZ
This comes from Rachael Ray's Big Orange Book. Fabulous flavors in this sandwich! Bacon, lettuce, sun-dried tomato jam and a seared tuna steak. This was a big hit at my house. I loved the tomato jam, DH and DS thought it would be better with just a thick slice of fresh tomato. The recipe specified the dry pack type of sun-dried tomatoes. I had some packed in oil and vinegar and just drained and used those. I also roughly chopped them rather than leave them whole.
For the Jam
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup sun-dried tomato
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- salt and pepper
For the sandwich
- 8 slices pepper bacon
- 4 (4 -6 ounce) tuna steaks
- 1 tablespoon McCormick grill seasoning
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest or 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 4 ciabatta rolls (toasted)
- 8 leaves red leaf lettuce
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Arrange the bacon on a broiler pan and bake until crisp, about 15 - 20 minutes. (I just cooked mine in the microwave).
- Heat 1 T. oil in a small saucepan to medium high. Add the onions and garlic and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the sun dried tomatoes, Worcestershire, vinegar, brown sugar and 1/2 cup water.
- Stir well. Bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer for about 7-8 minutes or until mixture thickens.
- Season the tuna with grill seasoning, zest and rosemary.
- Place a skillet over medium high heat. Add 1 T. olive oil.
- Sear the tuna steaks for about 2 minutes per side for rare fish or about 4 minutes per side for cooked through fish.
- While fish cooks, toast the rolls.
- Drizzle the rolls with a little olive oil.
- Place 2 lettuce leaves on each roll.
- Top with seared tuna, 2 strips of bacon, and a big spoon ful of tomato jam. Place tops on rolls.