Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
From Family Circle.
- 8 medium size ripe tomatoes
- 1⁄2 lb sliced bacon
- 4 ounces wedge iceberg lettuce (about 1/4 of head)
- 1⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 dash liquid hot pepper sauce
- With a serrated steak knife, slice tops off tomatoes and reserve tops.
- Using a small spoon, scoop out flesh and seeds from centers, reserving about 1/2 cup flesh. Rinse out tomato shells; let dry upside down on paper towel. Chop reserved tomato flesh.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon until crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer to paper towel to drain.
- Thinly slice iceberg wedge into fine shreds; chop if long strands of lettuce remain. Transfer lettuce to a medium-sized bowl. Stir in reserved chopped tomato flesh. Add the shredded cheddar cheese, mayonnaise, vinegar, Old Bay seasoning and hot-pepper sauce; stir until well blended.
- Crumble the cooked bacon into bite-size pieces. Stir the bacon into the lettuce mixture. Place tomatoes upright on platter. Spoon filling into tomatoes, mounding slightly. Replace tomato tops. Serve the stuffed tomatoes immediately.