Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I really love BLT sandwiches so I thought this would be a nice change for the cold days.
Make and share this BLT Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄3 lb bacon, diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄3 head lettuce, julienne (2-inch x 1 1/2-inch)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄4 quarts hot water
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 ham bouillon cube
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes in puree (diced)
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- In a large stockpot, saute bacon until lightly brown. Do not drain the fat. Add butter and heat. Stir in lettuce and saute for 2 minutes. Add flour mixing well and saute 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and slowly stir in hot water, chicken and ham bouillon cubes, tomatoes, nutmeg and cayenne pepper. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer for 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add half and half and heat to simmering. Garnish and serve.
- Garnish: bacon crumbles, cherry tomato slices or buttered croutons.
I needed to use some half and half cream and when I saw this recipe, I was curious to try it. It turned out very tasty. It's very easy to do. I didn't have ham bouillon cube so I used only chicken. I got tomato puree that I had to use from yesterday so that was perfect. Great taste and texture. Thanks for posting this recipe :) Made for Bargain Basement tag game