Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From the rare cookbook, The Pheobe Snow Cookbook, authored by a Mountain Lakes caterer who's name escapes me. Everyone who's tried this says it really does taste like a BLT.
- 1⁄3 lb bacon, diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄3 head iceberg lettuce, julienne (2" x 1 1/2")
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄4 quarts hot water
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 ham bouillon cube
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato puree, diced
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half
- bacon, crumbled or sliced cherry tomatoes or buttered crouton
- In a large stockpot, sauté bacon until lightly brown.
- Do not drain the fat.
- Add butter and heat.
- Stir in lettuce and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add flour mixing well and sauté 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and slowly stir in hot water, chicken and ham bouillon cubes, tomatoes, nutmeg and cayenne pepper.
- Heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add half and half and heat to simmering.
- Garnish and serve.