Recipe by Joanne Bryant
I was wandering through the Food Network website and found this recipe in a Rachael Ray episode. It sounded really good and I thought I could tweek it a bit to make it a bit more diet friendly. BLT stands for bacon, leeks and tomatoes.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs small red potatoes
- 1 leek, trimmed of rough tops
- 4 slices of thick smokey bacon, chopped or 1⁄4 cup bacon bits
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup sour cream, to pass at the table
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut larger potatoes in half, leave very small ones whole and place in pot.
- Cover with water, bring to a boil and cook 12-15 minutes until potatotes are tender.
- Cut leek in half lengthwise and chop into 1/2" pieces.
- Place in sink full of water and separate pieces to release all dirt, drain in a colander.
- Saute bacon until crisp and without draining, add leaks and saute until tender.
- If you are using bacon bits instead of bacon add them in Step 9 and saute the leeks in 1/4 cup broth.
- Drain potatoes, smash them in their skins with a potato masher.
- Add chicken broth and blend thoroughly.
- Add bacon (or bacon bits), leeks and tomatoes and blend.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm and pass sour cream.