Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
From my brother's fiancee--she loves this as a light lunch or dinner. I think she said she got this from her mother's copy of The Joy of Cooking.
- 8 slices bacon
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1⁄3 cup chopped pecans
- 1 head boston lettuce, leaves rinsed and crisped
- 1 bunch rinsed and crisped iceberg lettuce or 1 bunch romaine lettuce
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped fresh basil leaf
- 1⁄2 cup packaged garlic-flavored croutons (or to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- salad dressing, of your choice
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Arrange the bacon slices in a single layer on a broiler pan, as close together as possible without overlapping.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, and pecans; sprinkle evenly over the bacon.
- Bake untl the bacon is crisp and nicely browned, about 30 minutes (do not turn).
- Using a wide spatula, transfer bacon to paper towels and drain, keeping the pecan-side up; set aside.
- Meanwhile, tear the lettuce leaves into bite-sized pieces; toss with the tomatoes and basil in a large serving bowl.
- Crumble the bacon and add, along with any loose pecans, to the salad mixture; add croutons and black pepper and toss again.
- Serve with your favorite dressing.
The sugar and pecan coated bacon elevate this salad to a 4-star rating. I used Garlic Croutons - Garlic Croutons by Derf. I used a Catalina dressing but I'm wondering if a creamy garlic would have been even better.