Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is an easy-to-make main dish salad from bhg.com. For even quicker prep, sub heat-and-eat bacon for the turkey bacon. Don't cheat on the dressing, though. IMO, that makes the whole thing worth eating. Use neutral greens, like romaine or iceberg lettuces, so that the greens don't overpower the rest of the salad. I use the pre-chopped romaine hearts from the produce section so I can throw the whole thing together in 15 minutes. Also, the dressing is pretty thick. If you prefer a thinner dressing, add more milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, until it reaches the desired consistency.
- 1⁄3 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat milk
- 3 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 ounces French baguettes, thinly sliced into 12 slices
- 6 cups salad greens, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 3 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 small cucumber, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, cubed
- 8 slices turkey bacon, crisp-cooked, drained and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- For dressing, in a blender or food processor, combine mayonnaise, milk, sun-dried tomatoes, and garlic. Cover and blend or process until tomatoes and garlic are finely chopped. Set aside.
- Place bread slices on a baking sheet. Bake 5 minutes or until toasted. Turn slices over; spread with a small amount of the dressing. Bake 3 minutes more; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss together greens, plum tomato, cucumber, cheese, and bacon. Drizzle lightly with dressing; toss lightly to coat. Serve with toasted bread slices.
This is SO good! Followed directions pretty much to a T (except I used "stale" bagels instead of baguettes). Yummy-ola! Highly recommended, and GREAT for a hearty salad!