From Canadian Living magazine. All the flavours of a favourite sandwich tossed together on a plate makes this just as popular when it's a salad.
- 8 slices bacon, chopped
- 1⁄2 baguette
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 avocado
- 6 cups romaine lettuce, torn
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons sherry wine vinegar or 2 teaspoons wine vinegar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- Dressing: In a bowl, whisk together basil, yogurt, mayonnaise, vinegar, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a skillet, cook bacon over medium-high heat for about 7 minutes or until crisp. Drain on paper towels.
- Meanwhile, cut baguette diagonally into 12 slices. Broil on a baking sheet, turning once, for about 1 minute or until golden. Rub both sides with cut sides of garlic. Arrange in serving basket.
- Cut tomatoes into 1/2 inch thick wedges. Peel, pit and cut avocado into 1/2 inch cubes.
- In a large bowl, toss together lettuce, onion and half of the dressing; arrange on large plates. Top with tomatoes and avocado; spoon remaining dressing over top. Sprinkle with bacon. Serve with garlic toasts.
This is very good. I used more romaine than the recipe called for as I like lots of lettuce. I used less tomatoes as i inadvertently ate most of my tomatoes. I mixed up dressing and served a drizzle over each serving when needed.
Awesome! The salad combination itself is terrific, but it's the basil dressing that makes it really terrific! The sweet basil flavor is perfect against the salty bacon and the fresh tomatoes.... and everything else. I made the dressing hours ahead of time to allow the flavors to develop and I'm hooked on the dressing alone. I'm going to use this simple dressing recipe on many other salads. Thanx for posting!
This was a truly delicious salad that is very filling and could be your main meal! I made this exactly as posted and loved it. The yogurt in the dressing gave it a nice tang and the basil was a unique twist. This stretches a lot if it's served as a first course because it is so hearty. I would recommend this to anyone wanting to impress guests, as well. Thanks for sharing this keeper! Made for PRMR Tag Game.