Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
I came up with this one late morning when it was almost lunch time. I'd had some bacon I planned on having for breakfast, but then we ended up sleeping in. It was pretty good so I made it again and adjusted a few things and now it makes a great meal any time of day. 1/2 lb of bacon is enough for just an accent of bacon; use a full pound if you want your salad meatier.
- 1⁄2 loaf French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes and dried overnight (a loaf, not a baguette)
- 1⁄2-1 lb bacon
- 2 cups halved grape tomatoes
- 2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- Fry bacon up in large skillet and drain on paper towels.
- Pour off all but about 1/3 cup of the drippings and return to heat.
- Add bread cubes and toss to coat in drippings.
- Sautee bread cubes until lightly golden, 4-5 minutes. Work in batches if neccessary.
- Chop or tear bacon into 1 inch pieces.
- Combine tomatoes, bread, bacon, and lettuce.
- Drizzle with your favorite dressing and serve!
What a great salad; I loved it. I actually ate some of mine for breakfast. I halved the recipe, using the larger amount of bacon (in this case 1/2 pound), because I like it. I also used bagged chopped iceburg lettuce. I know, not quite the same, but I thought it delicious anyway. I baked the bacon in the oven as the Barefoot Contessa of the Food Network does and this worked very well. The recipe is a great addition to my (or any) summer salad repertoire. Made for Aussie #17.