Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
An updated version of the UK's favorite sandwich. This recipe comes from my favorite cooking magazine Cook's Illustrated.
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise (I use Hellman's)
- 4 slices Italian bread, 1 inch thick slices
- 12 slices bacon, Thick sliced, chopped
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 (10 ounce) bagchopped romaine lettuce
- salt and pepper
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 475 degrees.
- Spread 1/4 cup mayonnaise over both sides of bread slices and transfer to baking sheet.
- Bake until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes, then cut into 1-inch croutons.
- Cook bacon in large skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer to paper towel-lined plate. Discard drippings.
- Whisk remaining mayonnaise and vinegar in large bowl.
- Add bacon, tomatoes, lettuce, and croutons and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
Loved this salad! Would be great to take to a picnic or party as it makes quite a bit.
Far better than a BLT sandwich! To lower the fat, I used turkey bacon, lower mayo/vinegar ratio (light olive oil mayo) and less dressing overall. It was AMAZING, so I can only imagine how good the regular version must be -- will definitely make this again!
This is wonderful!! Absolutely PERFECT!! LOVED THE CROUTONS!!! Thanks so much!! Made for ZWT6 & the Xtra Hot Dishes.