Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Simple and tasty salad. I found this in a electric coop magazine. I sometimes cheat and use packaged real bacon bits instead of cooking the bacon myself. You can easily substitute iceberg lettuce for the romaine.
- 1 lb bacon
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 head romaine lettuce, rinsed, dried &,shredded
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups seasoned croutons
- Fry bacon, drain, crumble & set aside.
- In a blender or food processor, combine mayonnaise, milk, garlic powder and black pepper.
- Blend until smooth.
- Season the dressing with salt.
- Combine lettuce, tomatoes, bacon & croutons in a large bowl.
- Toss with dressing and serve immediately.
What a fun salad!!! I love BLT's so couldn't wait to try this salad. I read the other 2 reviews and wish I would have cut back on the garlic powder, as one of them had done so, as it over-powered the salad. I would definitely make this again but cutting back on the garlic powder and then feel it would be a 5 star salad for me.
This was a nice salad addition to our menu. I did use fat free mayo. I would reduce the amount of bacon to serve as a side salad next time. Thank you for sharing your recipe! Reviewed for Pick A Chef 2007
Very nice salad! I used sweet grape tomatoes which I sliced in half. I made my own homemade croutons, as I realized while preparing the salad I had none in the house. I decreased the amount of garlic powder in the dressing, as a matter of personal taste. To my taste, the dressing needs no more salt as the bacon supplies all that is needed. Next time I make this salad, I will decrease the amount of bacon to 1/2 pound instead of a full pound. I enjoyed it! Thanks for posting, French Lavender!