Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Around the holidays, you’re all for people just popping in. But they may never leave if you whip up BLT popovers. Saw this on Food Network and found on another site.
- Place the popover pan, or muffin tins, in the oven. Heat the oven and pan to 350º.
- Gently warm the milk over low heat and set aside.
- Whisk the eggs until frothy and slowly whisk in the milk (so as not to cook the eggs). Set the mixture aside.
- Sift the flour with the salt. Slowly add this dry mixture to the egg mixture and gently combine until mostly smooth.
- Remove the popover pan from the oven and spray with nonstick vegetable spray.
- Fill each popover or muffin cup three-fourths full.
- Top each popover with approximately 2 ½ tablespoons of the grated cheese.
- Bake at 350º for 50 minutes, rotating pan half a turn after fifteen minutes, until the popovers are golden brown.
- Take out of oven, remove from pan, and serve immediately.
I had these at BLT Steak in NY and they were so fluffy and good, that I had to make them myself. I didn't have a "Popover" pan nor did I want to buy another piece of cooking equipment unless it was multi-functional so I opted for my cupcake pan.
I had created the recipe with 12 servings in mind and followed the instructions to a tee, but realized later that they were meant for a popover pan with its deep, narrow pans. I baked them a second time and changed the servings to 2. I got about 7 holes filled in the pan. I also added a lot of grated cheese as the first time I made these, the cheese was non-existent. I also changed the cooking time to 15 min, then rotated 180 degrees and cooked another 15min more.
They came out pretty damn good and now I have something to replace biscuits during x-mas dinner this year.