Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This recipe came from one of my church's cookbooks. It's always requested and always a hit at family functions. This really has the flavor of a BLT sandwich.
- 1 (7 ounce) package rotini pasta or 1 (7 ounce) package elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄3 cup chili sauce (like Heinz)
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onion
- 4 cups shredded lettuce
- In large bowl, combine mayonnaise, chili sauce, lemon juice, bouillon granules and sugar.
- stir in cooked macaroni, tomato and green onions.
- Cover and chill several hours or overnight.
- Just before serving stir in lettuce and bacon.
I was excited to make this salad as my friend at work made it and it received rave reviews. However, I just made it for my family and we wound up throwing the whole batch out. The flavor of the chili sauce and lemon juice is overpowering and quite frankly is disconcerting. A big waste of money....sorry :(
This was a great change from regular macaroni salad, I will probably lessen the amount of chili sauce next time and add more bacon. It should be chilled overnight for the best flavor. I tried this for My Three Chefs 08. Thank you!