1/3 Photos of BLT & P (Bacon, Leek, Tomato and Potato) Soup
Mommy Diva's Note:
A satisfying soup version of a BLT for those days when you need a warming up-with a BACON pick me up!! (When don't we need those, eh?). Another RR treat!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling (EVOO)
- 6 slices bacon (good-quality,lean and smoky chopped into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 3 small celery ribs, finely chopped (from the heart of the stalk)
- 2 small carrots or 2 medium carrots
- 3 leeks, trimmed of rough tops and roots
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 3 medium potatoes, starchy such as Idaho, peeled
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, petite preferred drained
- fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- crusty bread, for dunking and mopping
- 1Heat a medium soup pot over medium-high heat.
- 2Add a small amount of EVOO and the bacon.
- 3Cook the bacon until brown and crisp.
- 4Remove the bacon to drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- 5Drain all but 2 tablespoons of remaining fat from pot then add the chopped celery.
- 6Take peeled carrots and lay flat on cutting board.
- 7Holding each carrot at root end, use the vegetable peeler to make long, thin strips of carrot.
- 8Chop the thin slices into small carrot bits (or chips), approximately 1/2 inch wide.
- 9Add the chips to celery and continue to stir.
- 10Cut leeks lengthwise and then into 1/2 inch half moons.
- 11Place dirty slices into colander and run under rushing cold water, separating all the layers so you can wash away all the trapped dirt.
- 12When the leeks are separated and clean, shake off water and add to celery and carrots.
- 13Stir these veggies together, adding a bay leaf and seasoning with salt and pepper.
- 14While the leeks cook (until they wilt 3-4 minutes), slice the potatoes.
- 15Cut each potato into thirds across.
- 16Stand each potato third upright and slice it thinly(The pieces will look like raw potato chips).
- 17Now adding stock to vegetables, bring to a boil.
- 18Reduce heat then add potatoes and tomatoes.
- 19Cook 8-10 minutes until potatoes are tender and starting to break up a bit.
- 20Add bacon and parsley, stirring.
- 21Adjust seasonings to taste (don't forget to remove bay leaf).
- 22Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for BLT & P (Bacon, Leek, Tomato and Potato) Soup
Serving Size: 1 (870 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 422.8
- Calories from Fat 106
- Total Fat 11.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 22.5 mg
- Sodium 841.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 15.6 g
- Protein 18.9 g