Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a good side dish but we make it our meal!
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and peeled
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- romaine lettuce (I use the same amount of romaine as I do iceberg)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1⁄2 lb mild cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup toasted slivered almonds (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Cook bacon until crisp, set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice and garlic.
- Beating with a fork, add the oil in a slow steady stream and beat until well blended, set aside.
- Gather the lettuce leaves into stacks and cut crosswise into 1/2 inch wide shreds.
- Place lettuce in a large salad bowl, add the bacon, tomatoes, cheeses and almonds, toss to combine.
- Beat the dressing to recombine, then remove any discard garlic.
- Add dressing to salad and toss, add salt and pepper.
- Serve with Italian bread on the side.
This was very good. Next time I would use less oil, but would not change anything else. I will be making this again for meals.
Fantastic recipe. I loved the toasted almonds. Of course, I didn't have romain lettuce, so I cheated and used the prepackaged lettuce mix. If it is any better using the romain, I don't know if I could stand it.
I made this recipe exactly as written with the exception of omitting the optional items. It was very good and I'm sure I'll be making it often.