Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
At your next get together - impress your friends with this unique appetizer using the popular jalapeno peppers. It is always a good idea to use the plastic throw away gloves when working with hot peppers. Prep time is estimated.
- 15 -20 large fresh jalapenos, stemmed and cut in half (scoop out some or all of the seeds depending on heat you want)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 2 cups flour
- oil (for frying)
DIPPING SAUCE make this in advance
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons picante sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- Beat egg well and add milk.
- Put peppers in mixture, mixing to coat.
- Let stand in mixture about five minutes, then remove.
- Put salt, pepper, Old Bay Seasoning and flour in 1 quart zip lock bag.
- Shake to mix thoroughly.
- Drop the peppers, a few at a time, in the flour and close bag and shake to coat.
- Lay peppers cut-side-down on cookie sheet to dry for 15 minutes.
- Deep fry pepper slices in hot oil until brown and crisp.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Put dipping sauce in small deep bowl and place on large plate.
- Arrange the jalapeno slices, petal fashion around the dipping sauce bowl.