Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
No, it doesn't have vodka. But you could either drink while you're cooking (good choice!), or drink while you're eating (good choice!). Whatever you decide to do, I'm sure you'll love it paired with this spicy beef stew. Soak up the rich and spicy juices with sourdough or crusty french bread. *If you don't want it as spicy, swap out the Bloody Mary mix with equal amounts of tomato juice (V8 would work well). Or go 50/50 with tomato juice and mix. Or use tomato juice and hot sauce to your liking. Try your favorite Bloody Mary mix; the kind we had is "Bold and Spicy."* (I adapted this from a Better Homes and Gardens recipe)
- 29.58 ml all-purpose flour
- 680.38 g beef stew meat, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 29.58 ml oil
- 709.77 ml spicy bloody mary mix (see description for other ideas)
- 236.59 ml water
- 1 medium onion, cut in half through the root, then cut into slices
- 14.79 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 2 beef bouillon cubes, separated
- 4.92 ml dried oregano
- 4.92 ml dried parsley
- 2.46-4.92 ml garlic powder
- 2.46-4.92 ml onion powder
- 1.23-2.46 ml black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 medium potatoes, cubed
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 stalk celery, sliced
- Put meat chunks and flour in a plastic bag (seal it!) and shake to coat.
- Heat oil in a large pot (Dutch oven, whatever you have). Add meat and brown, drain fat.
- Stir in Bloody Mary mix, water, onion, Worcestershire sauce, 1 bouillon cube, oregano, parsley, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and bay leaf.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer (covered and stirring occasionally) for 1 - 1 1/4 hours or until meat is almost tender.
- Add potatoes, carrots, and celery. Taste broth to see if you need to add the second bouillon cube, or more of the other seasonings. (I add the bouillon in stages to monitor the salt).
- Return to boil, reduce heat and simmer (covered and stirring occasionally) for about 30 minutes, or until meat and veggies are tender. I always cut the potatoes too big so I end up checking them at 30 min and keep cooking until they are done. Throw away the bay leaf.
- Enjoy with crusty bread to soak up the juices.
We really liked this one! I too used the "Bold & Spicy" mix. I doubled the recipe and cooked everything but the vegetables in the slow cooker on high for three hours. Then I added 3/4 of a pound of brown crimini mushrooms and a green pepper along with the other vegetables and cooked it another three hours. It was the best beef stew we have had in a while! Thanks Jusme!