1/1 Photo of Bloody Mary String Beans
Spicy string beans to be eaten straight up or add the a bloody mary.
My Private Note
wide mo ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon dill seed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup vodka (pepper or citrus)
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh horseradish
- 1 lemon, just the zest cut in strips
- 6 garlic cloves, left whole
- 1 teaspoon peppercorn
- 2 jalapenos, sliced lengthwise into quarters
- 1 1/2 lbs green beans, washed n trimmed to fit into wide mouth pint jars
- 1/2 large sweet onion, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1Bring a large pot of water with the 1 teaspoon salt to a boil over medium heat. Add the beans and onion slices. Cook until the beans begin to turn bright green and are just tender, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and drain. Rinse and drain well.
- 2In a small saucepan, over high heat, bring the first 7 ingredients to a boil, then turn off the heat, stirring until dissolved. Remove from heat.
- 3Distribute the grated fresh horseradish, lemon zest, garlic cloves, whole peppercorns, jalapenos slices among the jars.
- 4Pack beans and onions in sterilized jars then cover with the vinegar mixture.
- 5Fill to within 1 inch of the top. The beans should be covered and there should still be 1/2 inch of airspace left in the top of each jar.
- 6Put the lids and rings on.
- 7Put the lids on each jar and seal them by putting a ring on and screwing it down snugly (but not with all your might, just "snug").
- 8Using the jar tongs, put the pint jars in the canner and keep them covered with at least 1 inch of water. Keep the water boiling.
- 9Boil them for.
- 105 minutes for 0-1,000 ft.,.
- 1110 minutes 1,001-6,000 ft.,.
- 1215 minutes above 6,000 ft.
- 13Lift the jars out of the water and let them cool without touching or bumping them in a draft-free place overnight.
- 14Then remove the rings if you like. Once the jars are cool, you can check that they are sealed verifying that the lid has been sucked down. Just press in the center, gently, with your finger. If it pops up and down (often making a popping sound), it is not sealed. If you put the jar in the refrigerator right away, you can still use it.
- 15Give it a weeks time for the seasonings to be absorbed into the pickled beans.
- 16Process in a hot water bath, remove and cool in a draft free spot for 24 hours.
- 17You can also put them in sterilized jars and refrigerate instead of doing the canning process. Let flavors meld for 1 week. Just keep under refrigeration and eat within 1 month.
Browse Our Top Garnishes Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bloody Mary String Beans
Serving Size: 1 (1326 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 327.4
- Calories from Fat 8
- Total Fat 0.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 797.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.9 g
- Sugars 42.8 g
- Protein 5.4 g