Prep 45 mins
Cook 10 hrs
Cuisine Tonight/Cuisine at Home
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 -4 lbs boneless beef arm roast, seasoned with kosher salt and black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium beef broth
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle vegetable juice cocktail (V8)
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 3 ribs celery, sliced into 2-inch pieces
- 1 rutabaga, cut into 2-inch chunks (1 lb.)
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley, leaves
- 2 tablespoons vodka
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- hot pepper sauce
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- celery leaves (optional)
- Heat oil in a saute pan; brown roast on all sides in hot oil over med-high heat, about 12 minutes total.
- Remove roast from pan; place meat in a 5 to 6 quart slow cooker.
- Deglaze the pan with broth, scraping up brown bits.
- Stir in vegetable juice, horseradish, celery seed, and bay leaf; pour mixture into slow cooker.
- Arrange leeks, celery, rutabaga, and bell pepper on top of meat.
- Cover slow cooker, cook until meat and vegetables are tender--on high heat setting for 4-5 hours, or on low heat setting for 9-10 hours.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove meat and vegetables to a serving platter; cover and keep food warm.
- Transfer juices from slow cooker to a saucepan; skim off fat.
- Stir cold water into flour; stir flour mixture into juices in sauepan; cook over medium heat until gravy is thickened, 2 minutes.
- Stir parsley, vodka, and vinegar into gravy in saucepan.
- Season gravy with hot pepper sauce, salt, and pepper.
- Serve gravy over pot roast, vegetables, and noodles (if desired).
- Garnish each serving with celery leaves.
Wow! This was soooo tender and yummy. My favorite roast yet. Don't skip the browning.