Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A recent trip to the farmers' market inspired this recipe. It can be made into muffins or small loaves and has both the distinctive blood orange flavor as well as a mild sweetness. Best of all, these muffins pack in a lot of addictive flavor while still being very nutritious and healthy.
- 4 cups whole wheat flour (or white flour)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups blood orange juice
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- Mix the orange juice, egg, oil, and honey in a separate bowl.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the orange juice mixture.
- Pour the batter into greased muffin trays and bake for about 20 minutes.
I'm not sure if the author of this recipe left out an ingredient or two. The batter looked more like a thick dough and even after doctoring it up- it just didn't look right. I added at least another 1/4 cup oil, more OJ, honey, salt and sugar but it came out more like a whole wheat brownie. Great idea though