Prep 2 mins
Cook 0 mins
I created this blood orange mojito when I wanted to do a pomagranate mojito and my juice was not good. I had to substitute with another juice and I chose Blood orange juice. Then it was too sweet. I had to reduce the quantity of sugar.
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice or 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 12 mint leaves
- 6 tablespoons white rum
- 1⁄4 cup blood orange juice
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 fluid ounce ginger ale or 1⁄8-1⁄4 fluid ounce club soda
- Combine the sugar, lemon juice and mint leaves in a tall glass; mash with the back of a spoon.
- Mix in the rum and blood orange juice.
- Fill glass with ice.
- Top with a splash of ginger ale.
I used ginger ale, to see how it would blend with orange juice, and I really liked it (though it was more golden in color than Club Soda, and sort of washed out the orange juice--but that didn't effect the taste). But I thought the rum was a little overpowering in this drink and drown out some of the other fantastic taste sensations. So I would cut the rum to perhaps 4 Tbsp so the other interesting flavors had a chance in the spotlight. But it was a very good drink. Thanks, Boomette.