Recipe by Chilicat
This recipe has been making the rounds on the internet and I thought I would post it here so I don't forget about it. There are 8 different additions/variations that are guaranteed to make these blondies something special!
Top Review by Muffin Goddess
I used vanilla extract, and I opted for the dried cherry and whiskey options (very good combo, if you don't mind slightly boozy blondies). My blondies took an extra 10 minutes to be fully baked (they were so wet-looking at 25 minutes that I was chalking it up to the whiskey I added, but seeing other reviews tells me that it's just the way this recipe is. They were still pretty gooey-looking at 35 minutes, but the edges appeared baked. Once they fully cooled, they were perfect (crisp outside and chewy inside). If you're prefer cakey over fudgy in brownies/blondies, then you might want to pass this one by, but if fudgy texture is your nirvana, these are right up your alley! I'll definitely be trying some of the other variations. Thanks for posting! Made for the Variety is the Spice of Life 2013 event
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted (1 block)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter an 8×8 pan
- Mix melted butter with brown sugar and beat until smooth. Beat in egg, then stir in vanilla or almond extract.
- Whisk flour and salt together, then stir into sugar mixture. Mix in any additions (below) just until combined.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 350°F 20-25 minutes, or until set in the middle.
- Further additions, use one or a combination of:
- 1/2 to 1 cup chopped nuts, toasting them first for even better flavor
- 1/2 to 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon mint extract in addition to or in place of the vanilla
- 1/2 cup mashed bananas
- 1/4 cup bourbon, scotch or other whiskey; increase the flour by one tablespoon
- 2 tablespoons of espresso powder with the vanilla
- 1/2 cup dried fruit, especially dried cherries
- Top with a vanilla butter cream or chocolate peanut butter cream frosting.