Prep 25 mins
Cook 55 mins
If you're feeling self-indulgent, these brownies make a fantastic sundae when topped with ice cream, hot fudge, and some chopped nuts. Garnish with fresh fruit.
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2⁄3 cup butter or 2⁄3 cup margarine
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped sweet baking chocolate (6 ounces)
- 2⁄3 cup toasted chopped hazelnuts (or almonds)
- In a large saucepan heat brown sugar and butter or margarine, stirring constantly till sugar dissolves. Remove pan from heat. Cool slightly. Add eggs, one at a time, and the vanilla. Beat slightly by hand just till combined. Stir in flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Spread batter in a greased 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan. Sprinkle with chopped chocolate and hazelnuts or almonds.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for 35 minutes. Cut into bars while still warm; cool bars completely in pan.
These brownies are to die for! Chocolate and hazelnut are two of my favorite things and then there's butter and brown sugar ~ don't think I need to say more! This recipe converted to gluten free extremely well. Thanks for posting this recipe. Made for Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup.