Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I first made these using this recipe in Home Economics when I was in 7th grade. They became such a favorite that I still have them in my collection today.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 1 (6 ounce) package chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Melt shortening in a large saucepan.
- Remove pan from heat and cool slightly.
- Add sugars, vanilla, and eggs.
- Beat well.
- Add flour, salt, nuts, and baking powder.
- Stir until well blended.
- Pour into a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over mixture.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until golden.
Very good blonde brownies--not as rich and gooey as some I have had, but a nice treat. I took them for "tea" to work, and they were totally finished with many recipe requests.