Having recently discovered an allergy to tomatoes sent my Italian world into a tailspin. How would I ever survive?? Here is a wonderful, nourishing, comfort-food soup that I put together that eased my sense of deprivation. The amounts are very flexible, plus I've given directions on how to add tomatoes if you "must".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (or 2 tsp. fresh basi)
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups yellow squash, thinly-sliced
- 3 cups zucchini, thin-sliced
- 1 cup carrot, thin-sliced
- 1 cup fresh corn (about 2 ears (or 1 can)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup ditalini
- 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (6 ounce) bag Baby Spinach, fresh
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper (to taste)
- 8 teaspoons pesto sauce, prepared
- 1Chop onions.
- 2Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion to pan and saute until softened - about 3-5 minutes.
- 3Add oregano, basil and garlic, saute about 1 minute. Stir in squash, zucchini, carrot and corn. Saute until veggies are tender -- about 5 minutes.
- 4Stir in broth (I use 1 teaspoons of "Better than Boullion" to a cup of water.) Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer about 20 minutes.
- 5Add pasta and beans to pan. Cook about 10 minutes or until the pasta is tender. Remove from heat; stir in spinach, add salt and pepper to taste.
- 6Ladle into bowls; top with a dollop of pesto; garnish with freshly ground black pepper.
- 7If you must have tomatoes -- add 3 cups tomato to 2 of the 6 cups of broth, process in blender/food processor until smooth. Add an additional cup of chopped tomatoes to the soup.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for "blond" Minestrone
Serving Size: 1 (410 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 191.8
- Calories from Fat 29
- Total Fat 3.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 891.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 11.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: