Recipe by PanNan
This is a great soup to serve as a first course, or with salad and/or sandwiches.
Top Review by karen in tbay
I do believe this is the best cauliflower soup I have ever made. I was concerned with the thickening mixture at first but after adding the milk which is not mentioned in directions, I finally ended up with a pourable mix. I also added velveeta cheese. Will definitely make this soup again.
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 quarts chicken stock (canned broth or bouillon is ok)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream or 1⁄2 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean cauliflower and separate into florettes.
- Chop the tender part of the stalk.
- Discard remainder of the stalk.
- Bring the stock to a soft boil and cook the cauliflower until just barely tender (about 8 min).
- Meanwhile in a sauce pan, melt butter, add flour and stir constantly about five minutes.
- Slowly add some of the cauliflower stock to the flour mixture.
- Continue to stir flour mixture and add enough stock to dissolve all flour and have a consistency you can pour into the stock to thicken it when the cauliflower is tender.
- Add nutmeg and cream to the soup, stir, and serve hot.
- For variety, you can omit the nutmeg, and add paprika instead.
- You can also add 1/2 cup cheese when you are combining the flour and stock.