Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Cauliflower served in a simple white sauce with a hint of nutmeg which highlights the cauliflower. Cheese lovers have the option of adding some of there favorite cheese to the sauce. Try melting some Dutch cheese such as Edam or Gouda cheese into your sauce. Some other suggestions are Fontina, Gruyere, Cheddar or your favorite mild cheese from your part of the world. Enjoy!
- Clean and break cauliflower into flowerettes.
- In a kettle, boil cauliflower in the water until tender.
- While the cauliflower is cooking, melt butter in a medium saucepan, over low heat.
- Whisk in flour, salt and nutmeg, making a smooth paste.
- Add the milk slowly, stirring constantly to incorporate smoothly.
- Cook over low heat until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Optional: grated cheese may be added at this point, stirring constantly to incorporate into a smooth sauce.
- Drain and place cauliflower in a serving dish.
- Pour white sauce, (cheese sauce) over cauliflower and serve.
This is the same cauliflower recipe I grew up with and it's still my favorite. Thank you for posting Acerast :)
i was really looking forward to trying this recipe but i'm sorry tol say that i didnt really care for this sauce. it was kind of bland & barely cheesy even though i put almost 2 cups of sharp cheddar cheese in. the recipe makes a huge batch so if you're only cooking for 2-4 people you might want to cut the recipe in half.
I really, really enjoyed this. I did add the cheddar. Instead of caulifower, used froz/cooked California mixed vegs.