This soup is really yummy and healthy too! This makes a main dish accompanied by tortillas, or crusty french bread and a nice salad!Caribbean, Cuban, Mexican and Spanish influences! It really is best if the beans are soaked overnight.And depending on your cooker, the soup might need to be cooked longer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb dried black beans (soaked overnight)
- 1 1/2 quarts water
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 1/4 cup lentils
- 1 (28 ounce) can peeled and diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 cup uncooked white rice or 1/2 cup brown rice
- sour cream
- lime wedge
- 1Soak beans overnight in water to cover.
- 2If you don't soak the beans overnight:.
- 3In a large pot over medium heat, place the beans in three times their volume of water.
- 4Bring to a boil and let boil 10 minutes.
- 5Cover, remove from heat and let stand 1 hour.
- 6Drain and rinse.
- 7In a crock pot, combine soaked beans and 1 1/2 quarts fresh water.
- 8Cook for 3-7 hours on high, depending on how hot your cooker gets.
- 9Stir in carrot, celery, onion, garlic, bell pepper, jalapeno, lentils and tomatoes.
- 10Season with chili powder, cumin, oregano, black pepper, red wine vinegar and salt.
- 11Cook on low, 2 to 3 hours.
- 12Stir the rice into the crock pot in the last 20 minutes of cooking (if using brown rice add the last 1 hour).
- 13Puree half the soup with a blender or food processor, then pour back into the pot before serving.
- 14Serve with lime wedges, sour cream, and cilantro.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Blockbuster Vegetarian Crock Pot Black Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (350 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 234.4
- Calories from Fat 11
- Total Fat 1.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 745.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.1 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 12.5 g