Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This soup is really yummy and healthy too! This makes a main dish accompanied by tortillas, or crusty french bread and a nice salad!Caribbean, Cuban, Mexican and Spanish influences! It really is best if the beans are soaked overnight.And depending on your cooker, the soup might need to be cooked longer.
- 1 lb dried black beans (soaked overnight)
- 1 1⁄2 quarts water
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup lentils
- 1 (28 ounce) canpeeled and diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked white rice or 1⁄2 cup brown rice
- sour cream
- lime wedge
- Soak beans overnight in water to cover.
- If you don't soak the beans overnight:.
- In a large pot over medium heat, place the beans in three times their volume of water.
- Bring to a boil and let boil 10 minutes.
- Cover, remove from heat and let stand 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse.
- In a crock pot, combine soaked beans and 1 1/2 quarts fresh water.
- Cook for 3-7 hours on high, depending on how hot your cooker gets.
- Stir in carrot, celery, onion, garlic, bell pepper, jalapeno, lentils and tomatoes.
- Season with chili powder, cumin, oregano, black pepper, red wine vinegar and salt.
- Cook on low, 2 to 3 hours.
- Stir the rice into the crock pot in the last 20 minutes of cooking (if using brown rice add the last 1 hour).
- Puree half the soup with a blender or food processor, then pour back into the pot before serving.
- Serve with lime wedges, sour cream, and cilantro.