Recipe by Alan in SW Florida
A taste of New England from the Ladies Auxiliary of the Block Island Volunteer Fire Department, Block Island, Rhode Island.
Top Review by *Parsley*
I really loved this. It was simple to make, yet had great flavor and was filling. I decreased the overall amount of olive oil to 3 tbsp. and doubled the garlic. Using good-quality dry sea scallops is very important. Just as important is not overcooking them. Thanx for sharing this great scallop recipe!
- 2 lbs fresh sea scallops
- 1⁄3 cup dry white vermouth
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, plus
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups peeled chopped Italian-style tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- toasted French bread, slices
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 3 ingredients; stir well. Let stand 30 minutes.
- Saute onion in olive oil in a Dutch oven until onion is tender. Add chopped tomatoes; cover and cook until tomatoes soften. Add scallop mixture, butter, minced parsley, salt, and pepper; cook, uncovered, until scallops are done, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Serve stew over toasted French bread slices.