Recipe by Lennie
Posted in response to a request for a cake without eggs, milk or butter. Untried by me, though.
Top Review by Denise in da Kitchen
I was looking for a simple dessert that didn't use butter in it (I was almost out of it) and I have to admit that the name of this recipe really caught my eye. It smelled wonderful while it was cooking and it has a real old-fashioned flavor. Everyone liked it but we all agreed that it would probably taste better with some kind of frosting on it. So the next time I make it, that is what I will do. Thanks Lenny for a great keeper.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups raisins
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- icing sugar, as needed (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F, have ready a greased and floured 8-inch cake pan.
- In a saucepan over high heat, combine water, brown sugar, raisins, shortening and the spices; bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Turn off heat, remove pot from burner, and let cool to lukewarm.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together flour and baking soda; blend flour mixture into cooled raisin mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for approximately 45 minutes, or until top is firm to the touch.
- Let cake cool before serving; if desired, sprinkle top with icing sugar.