Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
From Crazy Good Italian by Mike Isabella
- 3 red bell peppers, bushed with extra virgin olive oil and salted
- 3 yellow bell peppers, brushed with extra virgin olive oil and salted
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 4 whole pickled peppadew peppers, finely diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat the oven broiler to high. Place the oven rack in its second highest position.
- Place the whole red and yellow peppers on their sides on a baking sheet and broil for 5 minutes on each side, leave about 3 inches between the flame and the top of the peppers. This will take about 20 minutes or so. The skins will be charred and he flesh of the peppers soft.
- Place the peppers in a glass bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Let cool to room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Slice the cooled peppers lengthwise in half and remove and discard the skins, seeds, and ribs. Slice into 1/4 inch wide strips and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and sweat the onions for 5 minutes, or until just soft and translucent. Add the garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the chile flakes and paprika, then add the roasted peppers strips, peppadews, bay leaf, rosemary, and thyme. Lower heat and cook at a low simmer for 20 minutes to allow flavors to meld.
- Stir in the red wine vinegar and capers and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove and discard the bay leaf, rosemary, and thyme. Stir in the salt.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and serve at room temperature.