Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a cooked salsa. It comes together fast because the tomatoes are canned, not fresh. The roasted chiles, onions and the vinegar impart a great balance of heat/flavor. Enjoy.
- Drizzle olive oil over the onion and season with salt and pepper. A drizzle of lime juice is a nice touch as well. Wrap the onion in foil and place in chili roaster with the peppers. Roast over the fire for 10 minutes then check for doneness.
- If you don't have a chile roaster, the oven will do in a pinch.
- When done place chilies in a plastic bag for about 10 minutes. Then peel, seed and chop. Chop onion.
- Put the cut toms in a small sauce pan and break up. I use a potato masher, works well. Bring to a boil.
- In the mean time combine vinegar, water and cornstarch to make a slurry. When the toms com to a boil, add chilies, onion and slurry. Mix well to thicken and remove from heat.
- Let this cool slightly before adding the cilantro. You don't want the cilantro to wilt from the heat in the mixture. (You may, I don't know. It looks like cooked spinach to me and that ain't cool :>).
- Add cilantro.