Recipe by Chef Jeff S
Pretty easy to put together and very flavorful. I use New Mexico chili's but you can substitute for your own tastes and heat preference.
- 5 -6 dried chili pods
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Tear chili pods into ½ inch squares and remove seeds. Toast in a skillet until lightly toasted. Do not burn as it will be bitter. Remove toasted pods to a plate to cool.
- Toast cumin seeds until fragrant. Remove to a small bowl.
- Grind cumin and oregano in a spice grinder, remove to a small bowl.
- Grind the chili pods a few at a time and place powder in a blow. Repeat until all of the pods are ground.
- Sift chili powder. You should have 4 T after sifting.
- Combine chili powder, cumin, oregano and celery salt. Mix well.
- Put in a tight fitting jar and store for 6 months in a cool dark place.