Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
Tasty Russian recipe from the recipe box my grandmother left me after she passed. She collected recipes from around the world when it was not very fashionable. This one is a traditional one.
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 2 cups ground beef, cooked
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt and pepper, to season
- Make the filling by sauteing the onions and mushrooms till soft and golden. Season. Mix with the cooked ground beef and leave to cool.
- Mix the pancake batter together with all ingredients except melted butter and fry 6-8 pancakes, each 7-8 inches in diameter. Cover and keep warm as you make them.
- When all the pancakes are ready, put two pancakes side by side in a deep baking pan, spread a layer of filling, then another two pancakes, then more meat. Continue in this way, finishing with two pancakes on top.
- Sprinkle with the melted butter and warm in the oven at 300F for 15 minute Serve with a salad.
This was so good. It reminded me of a dish I ate when I was just a kid. We lived in a multi-ethnic neighborhood of Eastern European and Irish, so we had many opportunities for eating food from different cultures. Made a thin brown sauce to serve over the pancakes. Thnx for posting, Celticevergreen, and bringing back some precious memories. Made for ZWT4.