Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 1 lb fresh backfin crab meat
- 2 cups freshly torn chinks white bread, divided
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons green peppers, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
- 2 eggs, hard boiled and chopped
- 4 fluid ounces bleu cheese salad dressing
- additional blue cheese, to taste,optional
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce, chef's choice or 1⁄2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning, to taste (optional)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- In a bowl, combine the crabmeat, 1 cup torn bread, celery, green pepper, parsley, chives, and egg and then spoon into in a lightly greased 2-quart baking dish.
- Combine the dressing, bleu cheese, lemon juice, mustard, Worcestershire, hot sauce or Old Bay, egg and butter, and stir into crabmeat mixture.
- Combine the butter and remaining torn bread; sprinkle on top.
- Bake at 375°F for 35 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Excellent recipe! I used "imitation" crab meat (1 pound), skipped the green peppers and parsley (didn't have 'em on hand), and the eggs because I was in a hurry & didn't have any boiled right then, and the hot sauce because I'm a wuss. Also, I dumped all the bread cubes in at once, but don't miss the crumb topping (eating as leftovers anyway, they wouldn't be crispy). WHEN I make this again (and I will--it's going in my KEEPER file), I'll double the sauce as I'd like this just a bit "juicier"...The flavor of the bleu cheese and the dijon is tantalizingly delish!