Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I got this from a puterpal years ago and have been making it ever since--so creamy!
- 3 baking potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth or 6 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry, to taste
- 4 ounces crumbled blue cheese or 4 ounces gorgonzola or 4 ounces Stilton cheese
- salt and pepper
- chives, for topping (optional)
- Put first 5 ingredients in 1 pot, bring to boil, then simmer 45 minutes-1hour pour into blender in batches, or use a hand blender to liquefy.
- Add cheese, sherry and simmer till cheese is melted.
- Serve w/chives on top.
This is very good. I expected more of a potato soup with a hint of bleu cheese, but this is definitely a blue cheese soup with a potato and stock base. The bleu cheese flavor is strong, but nice if you are a bleu cheese lover. I used Lennie's Rescued Turkey Stock for the stock. It would be a great first course for an elegant dinner.
I loved this soup! I didnt add any sherry, because I didnt have any, and it still turned out wonderful! We dipped crackers in it and added a little salt and pepper, but it did taste great without any...just personal taste. I loved it, although my hubby not being a very big bleu cheese fan, said he thought it was ok and would eat it again! Which says alot! THanks for a great soup recipe!