Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups white bread flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup port wine
- 1⁄3 cup blue cheese
- 1⁄3 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon fast rising yeast or 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- Place all ingredients in bread machine pan, in order given Can be made with the regular and rapid bake cycles.
- No need to use an expensive port here, just one with good flavour.
- The sharper the blue cheese, the stronger the flavour in the bread.
- We like the Danish blue best. As with all cheese recipes, loaf appearance may vary but the flavour is worth it. This moderately textured loaf makes great croutons and wonderful toast points for parties - delicious served warm with your favourite steak.
This bread was outstanding! It has a unique flavor - but oddly doesn't really have a cheesey taste. The bleu cheese completely disappeared into the dough - both my husband and child (card carrying bleu cheese haters) LOVED this bread. They didn't even realize there was any cheese in the bread. It has just a hint of port wine flavor - and it has a lovely light brown color. It rose up beautifully in my machine. A real treat - better than the average bread machine recipe. We used very good quality port wine. I used the Sweet Bread setting on my machine, which takes 2 hours 50 minutes (my bread machine recommends using SWEET setting for any cheese breads). I did have to add a few Tablespoons of extra flour as the dough was mixing (during the first 5 minutes) as the dough was a little too wet, which happens often in many bread machine recipes I try.
Way more than 5 stars! A great appetizer bread. Thanks for posting, Teapotter; you saved me the trouble! I used oil instead of applesauce due to lack of same. Toasted the walnuts for flavor. Also took out of ABM, made into 2 skinny baguettes and baked at 350 for about ...mmm, 30 minutes. Superb toasted, then spread with recipe #345606, Vampire Cheese Spread. I believe this is an Electric Bread recipe. . . Janet
Amazing! Delicious! Definately one of the better bread machine recipes. Great with soup or toasted with eggs in the morning. The walnuts gave it a nice crunch, the port gave it a nice color, and the blue cheese gave it a subtle tang. I will make this often!